Saturday, August 26, 2017

Why I Like to Paint Flowers, With Artist Marilyn Wesiberg

Flowers are colorful and happy. They come in so many shapes and sizes. You can paint them realistically, not so realistically, and abstractly. You don’t have to be perfect! Yeah!

 People seem to love flowers, too. They’re not as personal as, say, portraits and figures. Not quite so emotional. They’re just nice to have and a nice way to brighten the day, and the wall, of course.

 Of late, I’ve been painting flowers more abstractly, which is really fun. A multi-media approach with acrylics, collage, stencils, and sometimes oils. I tend to go a bit overboard with colors. I’m learning how to tame them a bit. Let’s tame the beast of too much exciting, wild, screaming color. But, the great thing is that they come out in my own style. “Marilyn’s flowers”…that’s what I hope to hear.

 I’ve tried to do “painterly” flowers, which I take mean dreamy flowers. Soft edges, more detail in a few spots, highlights in just the right places. I admit, I have a lot to learn about painting flowers. “Just do it” is my motto. Just throw that paint on the canvas and see what happens. Hopefully, there’s a bouquet in there somewhere. Leaves, too, love those leaves. Love the greens. Almost as fun as painting portraits. People holding flowers. A perfect combination.

 I’ve probably painted flowers since my early twenties. When I look back, not bad. Actually, quite nice. The inclination to do flowers was always there. Went into hibernation for a while, and now it’s back. The universe of flower painting is unlimited. For me, it has such wonderful potential. I think I’ll stick with it.

Visit https://marilynscanvas.com to view my work.
















No comments:

Post a Comment